Why Businesses Should Utilize Social Media
- Drives traffic
- Discover new customers
- Builds brands
- Attracts customers and evangelists who can help spread the “message”
- Creates positive associations with product or brand
How do you track social media ROI (metrics)?
- Traffic data (uniques coming from social media pages/profile)
- Fan/Follower data
- Social interaction data
- Social content performance (is the content produced on these social media sites driving traffic?)
Are there tools to help me track these metrics? Oh yeah! Just to name a few….
- Radian6. Best known social media monitoring tool.
- Social Mention. “Google Alerts” for Social Media.
- TwentyFeet. Aggregation of metrics and a datastream from Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Klout. Measures influence online.
- Viralheat. One of the best ways to measure social media (cheap for basic plan).
Because its a great business networking platform for self-promotion, branding, advertising, sales, and multimedia interaction. Why? Why spend the money and time? Below are a few basic reasons (stats):
1. 93% of adult US Internet users are on Facebook. (source: BlogHer, April 2011)
2. Facebook is overtaking Google and Yahoo in total time spent online. (source: ComScore, August 2011)
3. More than half of B2B marketers agree that Facebook is an effective marketing tool. (source: Outsell, December 2009)
4. More than half of small businesses agree that Facebook is beneficial to their business. (source: Ad-ology, November 2010)
5. 67% of B2C and 41% of B2B companies that use Facebook for marketing have acquired a customer through this channel. (source: HubSpot State of Inbound Marketing Report 2011)
6. One out of every eight minutes online is spent on Facebook. (source: ComScore, February 2011)
The demographics are almost limitless for all different products and services. Just a simple Facebook fan page will work. A fan page is an official page for a brand on Facebook. A Facebook page is created and other users can become fans of the page. Put a linkback to your website and its yet another way to increase traffic.