If your a start-up, small business, or a one-man show, you may not have an enormous budget to launch a product like say Microsoft or Apple. Never spend more than what you can afford to lose or gain a new customer. Below are few essentials for a successful product launch with limited budget:
- Social Media. Set up a refresh of your Facebook page, LinkedIn & Instagram company page. Send out Twitter product launch tweets (schedule tweets 24 hours before launch date), create a LinkedIn group, create a webinar (webinars are huge right now, and they are the easiest way to connect with your audience). If your in retail, use Groupon. If you have a physical location your customers frequent, utilize geolocation tools like Foursquare or Gowalla. In addition to a review site, Yelp also offers “check-in” offers and “deals” that are similar to what Groupon & Living Social offers. Use these services to reach out to new, potential customers.
- Website refresh. Create new product-specific landing pages, feature photos (.png’s), blog content, online collateral. Adjust and enhance your website meta tags/keywords to reflect new product information.
- Review copies. Reach out to influential bloggers + online publications. Send them copies 1-2 weeks before launch with an embargo date. Make sure you have some type of “blogger relations” program at least 6 months before launch. Relationship building with bloggers is key. Get to know them, comment on their blogs, reach out to them and introduce yourself.
- PPC campaign. Stick to one advertising platform like Google Ads, Amazon, or Facebook ads.
- E-mail marketing. Consider offering a pre-order for your new product, exclusive only to e-mail recipients. Or, offer a sneak peek at the new product before it’s released to the public. Use Constant Contact software and automate your email campaigns.
- Press Release. If you have some budget, use Business Wire. A cheaper alternative is PR Newswire. These PR distribution companies now are fully automated and support Social Media + mobile (iPad, smartphone) tools.
- Work your ass off. Rather then using a ton of money, use your time, energy and creativity!
Its crucial to measure your results after your launch. Go back and re-double efforts on which of the above techniques are working and abandon the ones that are not working.