- Grab and download the Instagram app in the App Store on an iOS device (iPhone, iPod, iPad), or in Google Play for an Android device.
- Open the App, fill out and register. Your Username will be visible and is how people will search for you. If it’s a business account you are creating be sure it reflects your organization. For your profile name, choose an account name that’s the same as the Twitter handle of your business.
- Your given many options like “search for contacts based on contacts on your Phone” or "invite your Facebook friends to follow”, do what feels natural if your customer are on your Facebook or contact list.
- Once your Instagram account has been setup, along the bottom, you will see 5 different icons. Press the rectangle icon that looks like a newspaper (far right) . This takes you to your profile settings. Click ‘Edit Your Profile’. Here you can add additional details including Go to Account, Edit Profile to finish your profile settings. Enter your First and Last name (if you want them shown), your URL, a short bio, and whatever other information you want to complete for your public and private profile. You can also add a profile picture. Add some of your business personality to your profile. This can include having an image of your office or employees, or your logo, rather than personal profiles which often have a photo of the user. A key to good business is responding to your customers, enable notifications so you can see when people share or comment on your photos. This will let you engage with them more quickly. Be sure to hit “Save” when you are done.
Getting started. Start taking pics! Be innovative. One example might be to brand your photos so they all have your logo attached. A simple way to do this would be to have a small printed out logo to hold up (by hand) in the corner of your shot as you take it.
- Post pictures of your place of business/work.
- Post images of your products or related services.
- Post pictures of your team doing innovative work "behind the scenes”.
- Post pictures of your customers happy faces.
- If your a restaurant, post pics of your signature dishes.
- If your a clothing boutique, post pics showcasing your new clothes. Tell your story behind your fashion brand.
- If your an artist, showcase your latest work, crafts, or inspiration.
- If your a contractor, showcase your latest project.
- Add a caption to your photo and upload it. A good tip for business users is to ask questions in your captions to increase the possibilities for engagement. Asking questions increases engagement.
- Use Hashtags! Hashtags are a key tool for organizing your photos and helping Instagram users to find photos on topics that interest them (such as your products or service).
A promotional tip: Bring the customers to you. If you make updates based on a geographical location, mention that you’ll be there and to come on down for a free prize giveaway or to check out the new items in the store.
Lastly, Monitoring Your Analytics! You need to know what people are responding to. Analytics can help you with your goals (increased sales or brand awareness).